If you are under 13, please do not provide us with any contact or other information, including your name, address or email address. If you are between the ages of 13 and 18, you must obtain permission from your parent or guardian before sending any contact or other information to Hidden Brain.
What personal data we collect and why we collect it
The only analytics we look at regularly are aggregate data about how people listen to our podcast (measured through Omny Studio) and access our website (through Google Analytics). We and our service providers collect a variety of contact and other information about you that you provide directly through our Services, including your name, email address, postal address, telephone number, password, age, payment card information, country of residence, communications and content preferences. We may collect such information when you:
- Email, text or otherwise share a story from any of the Hidden Brain Services.
- Contact us with a message.
- Post, upload, or otherwise submit a comment, story idea, essay, photo, or other content to Hidden Brain.
- Register for a Hidden Brain tour or event or any contest we sponsor.
- Apply for a job, internship or fellowship at Hidden Brain. In that case, we may collect and retain for our records your job application information, resume, job interview notes, candidate evaluation records, information regarding prior job experience, educational history, positions held, names of prior supervisors, and your salary expectations. In the event that we extend an offer of employment, we may also conduct a background check through a third party service.
- If you choose to participate in a survey, we may ask you to provide your date of birth, gender, education level, information about your employment, income level and other information.
- Make a donation to Hidden Brain or submit a related inquiry.
- Otherwise volunteer information to us or respond to a request for information through any of our Services.
If you fill out a form on our site you may opt-in to saving your name, email address and other information in cookies. These are for your convenience so that you do not have to fill in your details again when you return. These cookies will last for one year.
If you visit our login page, we will set a temporary cookie to determine if your browser accepts cookies. This cookie contains no personal data and is discarded when you close your browser.
When you log in, we will also set up several cookies to save your login information and your screen display choices. Login cookies last for two days, and screen options cookies last for a year. If you select “Remember Me”, your login will persist for two weeks. If you log out of your account, the login cookies will be removed.
Embedded content from other websites
Articles on this site may include embedded content (e.g. videos, images, articles, etc.). Embedded content from other websites behaves in the exact same way as if the visitor has visited the other website.
Analytics & Third Party Vendors
We, our service providers, and our vendors may use the information collected from you (whether provided by you directly or automatically collected through technology) to:
- Manage, administer, promote, analyze and improve our Services.
- Respond to your questions or messages and fulfill your orders or requests for services.
- Customize the content you see and hear on our Services.
- Customize the sponsorship credits you see and hear on our Services and on third-party services you may use or visit.
- Recognize you as the same user as you access our Services, content and sponsorship credits using different computers, devices and browsers, and to deliver our Services, content and sponsorship credits to you on different computers, devices and browsers.
- Send you email newsletters and marketing, fundraising, membership and other communications from Hidden Brain.
- Publish, broadcast or otherwise use stories or information you submit to us.
How long we retain your data
If you leave a comment, the comment and its metadata are retained indefinitely. This is so we can recognize and approve any follow-up comments automatically instead of holding them in a moderation queue.
For users that register on our website (if any), we also store the personal information they provide in their user profile. All users can see, edit, or delete their personal information at any time (except they cannot change their username). Website administrators can also see and edit that information.
What rights you have over your data
This is your data. You own it. We borrow it to improve your experience. If at any time you would like us to forget about you, please email email@example.com.